The exercise can be used for focus groups or purely usability test purposes.
The ultimate aim of this exercise is:
- To avoid uninformed design debates among UX team member.
- To overcome poor decisions.
- Fixing underperforming interfaces.
- Moving forward towards user-centered design approach.
- To get real feedback from real ‘experts’. (i.e users)
- To measure the effectiveness of functions’s usability beyond design.
- Design is time consuming for wrong design.
- Shaping the team member to be a well-informed UX designer.
Part 1: Design & logic ( duration 2.5 hours )
- Forming a team of 2
- Work on wireframe & design prototype.
- Team member to identify what is the ‘red route’
- Team member will split the task based on modules
- Need to ensure that each design ideally backed up by data.
- Prepare the design prototype based on real dimension ( i.e desktop, mobile)
Part 2: Things to measure ( 30mins )
- Present quickly done prototype to team member.
- Team member will discuss about what task to be done by participants in order to measure the usability of the layout.
- Things to measure:
- Task completion.
- Time spent on task.
- Design feedback.
- Task example: how to find used BMW in selangor below RM55,000
- The task must consist of ‘red route’
- Ideally 3 tasks to perform.
Part 3 : Usability test in action ( Optimistically within 2 hrs )
- To ensure the company logo is hidden on the prototype.
- Teams to exchange layout.
- Every team member will performing usability test with their own notebook & mobile.
- Ideally, 20 participants required for one layout.
- Team member to record the measurement results ( Measurement items: Part 2 item 3)
Part 4: Result & Finding. ( duration: 30mins )
- Forming a team based on layout
- Team member to summarize the results.
- Team representative will present the finding and results.
Part 5: Improvement ( duration: 2.5 hours )
- The same team will work on enhancement based on crucial improvement.
- Design must stick to finding & results.
Part 6: Post Measurement test.
- Each design will be present internally. (i.e to coworkers, stakeholders)
- Each design will compiled with test results.